Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:53:30 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Rob <europax@home.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How do you get kids interested in computers- other than play

On 12-Mar-01 Rob wrote:
>  The computer has just sat unused for weeks.
>
>  Did I screw up?  Are children so used to being spoon-fed information
>  that they no longer have
>  the interest in independent investigation?  This is a bright kid who
>  claimed to have an
>  interest in computers.
>
>  Oh, well thanks for listening to my rant.  Maybe it will just take some
>  time.    Rob.

Games are fun, that's why people play them.

Coding _can_ be fun, but when you are near the limit of your abilities (which is all
the time when you start) it is frustrating as hell.

And, well, teenagers are frustrated a lot of the time anyway :)

You could just install Python for Windows and see if he plays with that, but I don't
think you can force someone to program :)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum