Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 16:33:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Black <black@zen.cypher.net>
To:        Christopher Sedore <cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu>
Cc:        Ruslan Shevchenko <rssh@cki.ipri.kiev.ua>, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: async socket stuff

> Well, you might better arrange to be amazed :)  It is an NT system call.
> It's exact purpose is to avoid a read(file,buf)/write(sock,buf) loop with
> the associated user/system switch for each call.  Async doesn't buy you
> anything here except the ability to do it in the background.

how do you spell kludge?

> > btw, NT is probably the WORST place to look for inspiration.  just look
> > at their TCP sequence generation algorithm.
>
> I figure that I'll borrow good ideas from where ever they come...Nobody
> does everything "right" by universal or any given individual's standards.

no, but some places have more wrong than others.

> I'd just like to see FreeBSD add some enhancements to make it easier/more
> efficient for high load network applications (since I'm now breaking NT's

something like fbufs would be a general purpose and cleaner solution to
the issue of high-speed IO.  the NT syscall you describe is nothing but a
giant hairy hack.

> IP stack under load).  Threads (true threads, mind you)  would be nice,

breaking the NT tcp stack is no major accomplishment.

> but kernel based async IO and a few other goodies would make a big
> difference.

again, the kernel need not provide these facilities as long as they
appear at user level (yes, this can be done, see www.cis.upenn.edu/~eros)

i would rather the kernel got *smaller* and *faster* than more loaded
down with features.  how about a giant rearchitecting for FreeBSD 4.0? ;)

b3n