Date:      08 Jul 2002 14:24:46 -0400
From:      Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com>
To:        "Artem Tepponen" <temik@egartech.com>
Cc:        "Doug Barton" <DougB@FreeBSD.org>, "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>, <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

"Artem Tepponen" <temik@egartech.com> writes:

> The only problem is how to handle metadata piece that
> have to have at least two properties:
> 1. It should be available without whole thing being decompressed.
> 2. It should be available asap in case of slow link.

It seems to me that the solution is staring us right in the face.
Currently, the ports mechanism already separates data and metadata.
IMHO, the best solution is to extend the ports mechanism so that it
can be told to fetch and install binaries instead of building it
locally.  IOW, perhaps one additional file per port and some
additional rules in bsd.port.mk.

This seems to me to be the cleanest solution.

Thanks,
Rajappa
--
<rsi@panix.com> a.k.a. Rajappa Iyer.