Date:      Tue, 05 May 2015 07:46:47 -0453
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use maps.google.fr

On 05/05/15 03:51, Mike Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, 5 May 2015 00:35:54 +0200
> Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr> wrote:
>
>> I don't know why but since maps.google.com change the version of his
>> software (new interface) I'm unable to get the full version. I'm always on
>> the « lite mode ».
>>
>> So some nice feature like changing a route (in fact the only one I used)
>> don't work.
>>
>> I try with Firefox/Chromium under freebsd 10-stable.
>>
>> Anyone have a idea ?
> It's Google's idea of "progress" :-(
>
> The latest and greatest version of Google maps has system requirements
> which apparently means that it won't run under FreeBSD
> The following is from <https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3096703>;

> To use the full Google Maps with 3D imagery and Earth view, your
> computer needs:
>
>      The latest version of one of the following browsers:
>          Google Chrome
>          Firefox
>          Internet Explorer
>          Safari
>      One of these operating systems:
>          Mac OS 10.8.3+
>          Windows 7, 8, or 8.1
>          Chrome OS with an Intel CPU
>          Linux (not using Firefox)
>      Up-to-date video card hardware and drivers. See below for more
>      info.
>
> On first reading that I thought we might have been able to manage with
> Chrome under FreeBSD but it appears that the reference to Linux is
> precise and doesn't mean Unix like systems as is sometimes the case.
>
> Browsers not meeting the system requirements will automatically be fed
> with maps in "Lite" mode. The following is from
> <https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6070247?p=litemode&hl=en-GB&rd=1>;

> In Lite mode, some features are turned off so that Maps can run faster.
> You won't be able to use the following features while running Maps in
> Lite mode:
>
>      Seeing 3D imagery and Earth view
>      Showing your computer?s location on the map
>      Setting home and work
>      Searching nearby, measuring the distance between places, and
>      getting coordinates
>      Draggable routes
>      Embedding a map
>      Sending a place to your car
>      Viewing My Maps in Google Maps
>      Reporting a map data problem in Google Maps

Many of those features leverage 3D support from gfx cards. If that is
the only holdup, maybe that could provide additional motivation to get
more more 3D acceleration support under FreeBSD/X11. This box (9.3R-p13)
runs an AMD Jaguar APU (combined CPU/GPU). It runs the browser & desktop
(XFCE) fine, even streams video OK, but as soon as you get into any 3D
gfx (such as some screen-savers), it slows down noticeably. The APU
itself has considerable 3D gfx acceleration capability, but it is not
yet supported under FreeBSD/X11. $0.02, no more, no less ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.