Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:19:45 -0700
From:      Jon Nelson <chaos@zen.oftheinter.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nfs + ipfw problem

I was wondering what I need to do to allow nfs on a machine that has a
relatively paranoid firewall set up with ipfw.  There is only one machine I
need to access with files on it from the firewalled machine, and since it
is run by me a trust it.

The pertinent parts of my firewall rules are as follows:

fwcmd=/sbin/ipfw
nfssrv=ip of nfs server, on a different subnet
ip=my ip address

${fwcmd} add 90 pass ip from ${nfssrv} to any          # allow all access
from nfs server
${fwcmd} add 100 pass tcp from any to any established           # allow
established TCP connections
${fwcmd} add 100 pass all from any to any frag         # allow fragmented
tcp packets

# ... some bland rules for DNS, ssh, auth, etc..

${fwcmd} add 100 pass icmp from any to ${ip}  #  \___ allow all ICMP
${fwcmd} add 100 pass icmp from ${ip} to any  #  /

${fwcmd} add 200 deny log tcp from any to any setup   # deny everything
else, and log it for fun and profit

Now, when I try and mount from that machine I get the following error:
NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send

The odd thing is, if I change the first rule (90) from ``allow ip from
${nfssrv} to ``allow ip from any'', it works fine... I am stumped.

--jn