Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:09:13 -0400
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp-980609: sticky routes not working

I just recently switched from using the /usr/sbin/ppp which came
with 2.2.5R to ppp-980609.  Unfortunately, I have been noticing
problems with routes and interfaces not properly being updated.

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf includes the following.
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR

I don't "set ifaddr" or "add" a route anywhere else.  I invoke ppp
with "ppp -auto -alias myisp".  However, if I suddenly switch to
ddial mode using pppctl, the default route vanishes and tun0 is no
longer associated with an IP address.  Also, routes associated with
real Internet numbers stick around sometimes after the connection
has been dropped.  This happens occationally even when I don't mess
around with switching to ddial mode.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is this a bug?  Is there a "stable"
version of ppp I should use?

Aaron Luz