Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:23:34 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   ancontrol/ifconfig and WEP index mixup ?

I've been using the ifconfig interface to setting wep keys for both wi
and an interfaces. Using -STABLE from a few days ago.

On cisco an interfaces I've noticed what appears to be some confusion
between the index numbers for WEP keys.

] pir@disapp# ancontrol -C
[...]
] WEP Key status:
]         Key 0 is set 128 bits
]         Key 1 is set 128 bits
]         Key 2 is unset
]         Key 3 is unset
]         The active transmit key is 0

] pir@disapp# ifconfig an0
[...]
]        wepmode ON weptxkey 1
]        wepkey 1:128-bit

OK, so I just guess ancontrol is 0 based and ifconfig is 1 based ...
but;

] pir@disapp# ancontrol -v 0 -k ""
] pir@disapp# ancontrol -C
[...]
]         Key 0 is set 128 bits
]         Key 1 is unset
]         Key 2 is unset
]         Key 3 is unset
]         The active transmit key is 0

and I lose wireless access.

] ancontrol -v 0 -k <my key>
] pir@disapp# ancontrol -C
[...]
] WEP Key status:
]         Key 0 is set 128 bits
]         Key 1 is set 128 bits
]         Key 2 is unset
]         Key 3 is unset
]         The active transmit key is 0

and I have access again. Which says to me it isn't actually
transmitting with key 0, since I try to do something to key 0 nothing
happens and when I get rid of key 1 it stops working (and my base
stations only have one key).

] pir@disapp# ancontrol -v 0 -k ""
] pir@disapp# ancontrol -v 1 -k ""
] pir@disapp# ancontrol -C
[...]
] WEP Key status:
]         Key 0 is set 128 bits
]         Key 1 is unset
]         Key 2 is unset
]         Key 3 is unset
]         The active transmit key is 0

Can't clear that key 0.

] pir@disapp# ifconfig an0 wepkey 0:-
] ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Operation not permitted
] pir@disapp> ifconfig an0
[...]
]         wepmode ON weptxkey 1
]         wepkey 1:128-bit

ifconfig seems to have the right idea.

] pir@disapp# ifconfig an0 wepkey 1:-
[...]
]         wepmode ON weptxkey 1
]

There's an blank line at the end of the ifconfig output with no wep
key set (is that intentional ?) but seems to be doing the right thing
and not saying I have a key 0 when I don't appear to.

So, ancontrol getting the wrong index on keys ? Something weird I'm
not getting about perm/temp keys ?

Oh, also the man page for ancontrol says;

]     -i iface -o 0|1
]                  Set the operating mode of the Aironet interface.  Valid
]                  selections are 0 for ad-hoc mode and 1 for infrastructure
]                  mode.  The default driver setting is for ad-hoc mode.

Didn't the default change to infrastructure ?

In general I'm pretty happy with my Cisco 350 card. The extra transmit
power and slightly better receive sensitivity than the Lucent cards
seems to give nontrivial improved range in our testing (some points
where the Lucent cards get no usable signal and the Cisco cards do
5.5Mbit or even 11Mbit). Being able to turn the power output down from
the maximum when you are well in range can help battery life, too.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu