Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 15:03:40 +0700 (JVT)
From:      Hendra Sentono <hendra@unix.ukdw.ac.id>
To:        Teemu Kuusijarvi <k20418@kyyppari.hkkk.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, tpk@iki.fi
Subject:   Re: Email config problem

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Teemu Kuusijarvi wrote:

> we have FreeBSD based firewall and server here at work. The server is our
> mailhost. Our email comes in and goes out without a problem when using
> addresses like:
>
> login-id@mailhost.domain.name or
> firstname.lastname@mailhost.domain.name
>
> but how can I make these addresses work:
>
> login-id@domain.name
> firstname.lastname@domain.name
>
> Other machines are WinNT workstations connecting via imapd, ipop3d or ipop2d.
> No problems there.

I don't think this is a correct way to solve your problem, but it works
on our BSD 2.1.5 machine.

you can try hiding the mailhost name by adding record on one of your
DNS setup file (located on /etc/namedb - I hope you've already know
about how it works from the books you've read).

Try to configure like this:

$ORIGIN domain.name
mailhost	IN	A	ip.number.of.the-machine
		IN	MX	10 mailhost.domain.name.
# specify any other mail exchanger if exist
@		IN	A	ip.number.of.the-mailhost-machine
		IN	CNAME	mailhost.domain.name.
# it may seems curious that a machine has two host record with
# different name but it works on ours.

We use this configuration on our machine (it also works with
Netscape Mail Server for WinNT)

Anybody has another better suggestions?

Hendra Sentono
hendra@unix.ukdw.ac.id

Duta Wacana Christian University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia