Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 23:19:49 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Lawrence Hughes <Lawrence.Hughes@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium II install

Lawrence Hughes wrote:

> hmmmm.... so many fascinating things to sort out.... where to begin...
<snip>

> 5. With the traditional dual CPU (or quad, 6x, 8x, which takes
>      somewhat more complex motherboards/backplanes), you
>      can get fairly linear scaling of performance with added
>      CPUs. Maybe 3.5X a 1 CPU system with 4 CPUs.

It has also been known to go the other way. I saw a series of benchmarks
about a year ago that had you losing 5% per cpu. The analysis was that
state changes were eating the gains. There are some products that are
designed to work in an SMP environment and they gain throughput with an
increase in cpu's.

> 6. To harvest the performance possible on a SMP (Symmetric
>      Multi Processor), your OS needs to support multi process
>      correctly (can schedule any process on any available CPU)
>      and/or multi-threading. Windows NT can do both. FreeBSD
>      3.0 supports allocating processes across multiple CPUs.
>      (anyone happen to know if the FreeBSD pThreads supports
>      SMP in 3.0, to spread threads in a single process across
>      multiple CPUs?)

I don't have the source but there is a system call PVM that runs on a
series of computers as a virtual machine. It will run in a heterogenus
environment but this can produce strange results if the numerics are
vastly different between cpu's. A PC's 64 bit does not produce identical
results to a DEC Alpha, which is one of the favorites because it
produces identical answers to the older multi-headed Cray's.

I am in the midst of compiling a program that works in that environment.
The make, which uses f77, started 1:55 ago and we still have a ways to
go.

Kent

> 7. Win9x (slightly rewarmed barely 32-bit DOS and Win3.1)
>      can't do much of anything with additional CPUs. Nor can
>     anything from MS prior to those.
>
> Verstehe?

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html