Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:50:49 -0800
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] Does "~" always point to $HOME?

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007, youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:
>Hello again,
>    I'm revising some documentation that has examples of running Unix
>    commands and I want to make sure that my steps are correct, such that I
>    can substitute the tilde character ('~') for $HOME. The only issue I
>    can see with this is an improper configuration with sudo (ran into some
>    problems with $HOME in the past using sudo on Gentoo), but I'm pretty
>    sure that sudo's setup on the machine cluster properly.

That's true on most relatively modern shells, but not on pure
Bourne Shell, /bin/sh.

As for ``sudo'', ``sudo -'' invokes the login environment while a
plain ``sudo'' doesn't.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these acceptance
speeches there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven.''
    Will Rogers