Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:25:30 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
Cc:        mkes@ra.rockwell.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what filesystem for DVD

> From: Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:04:45 +0200 (CEST)
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > Most DVDs are written in UDF format.
>
> Does this mean I see a ISO 9660 filesystem, when I mount a
> movie DVD under FreeBSD -CURRENT?

Yes,pre-recorded DVDs are ISO 9660 format. It is writable DVDs that use
UDF. So you can mount a DVD and read the encrypted files under
FreeBSD. And, if you have DeCSS, you can, in theory, decrypt and view
them.

The problem is that 9660 is NOT a good format for read/write
operations, so UDF was developed to take the "nature" of writable
optical media into account so that they can look much like a slow
magnetic disk.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)