Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 19:12:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mohsin Rahman <mtech@buffnet.net>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-OS question revisited

Darryl,

I just did this 2 days ago. I had no problems. However, it is
always best to atleast have  working backups of your Win98
drive for the ooppsss scenario. I had a static IP, so I did
not have to worry about installing it from the cdrom.

Here are the steps I did:

1) Booted from the floppy, then when the install menu came
up, I went to CUSTOM/EXPERT

2) There, under PARTITIONS, I selected da0 and then selected
SET BOOTABLE and then QUIT, I was prompted for BootManager
STANDARD or NONE, I selected BOOT MANAGER

3) Then it brouhgt me to da0 and da1 selection and this time
I selected da1 and selected ALL to make it all dedicated to
FreeBSD. When prompted for BootManager/Standard or None, I
selected STANDARD

4) In the PARTITION section, it showed my da0 as a DOS drive,
and I had da1 listed to create partitions on. I selected C
for create and created:

	/ 	512MB
	/var	128MB
	swap	256MB
	/usr	all 7GB+ of it

You might have different sizes and even a /data /scratch or
whatever you like. I tend to select the most basic, and then
work off of that.

5) Went into Distributions and selected X-DEVELOPER and then
also selected COMPAT1/COMPAT2/COMPAT3 and the like.  ( You
want to the DEVELOER/X-DEVELOPER option if you want the
src installed.  You will need it if you want to be able to
compile the kernel).

6) Went into MEDIA and was prompted for which device and
I selected fxp0 (remember, I had a dedicated IP) and filled
in all the required info, 20 miutes later, I had FreeBSD 4.0
installed with X, Apache, PostgreSQL, PHP.

Love this setup and it works great!!!

Remember... BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!!!!

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Darryl Hoar wrote:

> Greetings,
> I checked the archive and Handbook and couldn't find what I needed.
> I know its there but...
>
> I just received my FreeBSD 4.0 (from Walnut Creek although it says BSD
> Inc on the case).
> I have a machine with Win98SE on Hard Drive #1.  I have a Hard Drive #2
> that I want to
> install FreeBSD 4.0 on.  Could someone please point me to the correct
> reference for
> this ?  The Multi-OS page only talks about putting FreeBSD on a disk
> with another
> OS.  It doesn't talk about the 2 disk setup.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Darryl

Mohsin AbdulRahman
MTech@BuffNET.Net