Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:16:16 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Stanley Wright <linuxrule@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Problems

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 06:47:09PM -0700, Stanley Wright wrote:
> I'm having a problem setting up Apache. The httpd
> daemon is up and running and I can access the
> webserver via http://localhost. (I can see a test page
> I created).

That's good.

How have you set up httpd.conf?  Did you tell it to bind to any
particular addresses, or did you just leave it to the default, which
is to bind to all available interfaces?  In httpd.conf, that's
'Listen' or 'BindAddress' directives.  The default is effectively:

    BindAddress *

which means 'bind to all ethernet interfaces'.

Depending on how your DSL connection is set up (ie. if your external
interface doesn't appear to the system much like an ethernet
interface), you might need to add a specific directive telling apache
to Listen on your external IP address.
=20
> When I try to connect to the webserver via the IP
> address  of my DSL connection I get the error:
>=20
> the connection was refused when attempting to
> contactx.x.x.x

Sounds as if apache isn't listening on that address. What do you get
from running?:

    % netstat -f inet | grep http
=20
> I called my ISP who informed me that they are not
> blocking port 80 (just wanted to cover all angles)
> also, Ive turned off the firewall with no success.

Good move, but it would be unlikely for any firewall filtering applied
by your ISP to prevent you from accessing an HTTP server on one of
your local interfaces.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20