Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:49:29 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software RAID-5 comparison: FreeBSD 3.0 vs. Solaris 2.6/x86...

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

>>     Among other things, this gives me a log-structured filesystem so that
>> I never have to fsck /export/home/ftp,
>
>We don't have that yet.

    That's not necessarily a problem.  I like not having to fsck 58GB of
disk space, but if the server is faster and more reliable with FreeBSD
3.0 + vinum RAID-5 + softupates (so that there is a lower likelihood of
having a problem that caused the machine to crash), then I might be
willing to give up a fsck-less filesystem.

>> the DiskSuite tools let me grow the filesystem while it's online
>> (and it doesn't have to be blown away and re-newfs'ed),
>
>That's in the pipeline, but it's not there yet.

    It's also not strictly necessasry.  I don't anticipate adding any
more disks to this system any time soon, but it would be nice if the
feature were there.

>> and there are some pretty cool performance monitoring tools
>> available from Rich Petit (SymbEL 3.x) and Adrian Crockcraft (author
>> of the book _Sun Performance and Tuning: Java and the Internet_).
>
>And we don't have much in that area either.  Vinum maintains a number
>of statistics, but that's about all.

    Actually, I was thinking primarily of system performance tuning
tools, not just filesystem tools.  In addition to wanting to know how
long the wait queue is for I/O commands to a particular disk or volume,
how many I/O operations I'm getting per second, etc... I'd also like to
know things like how much RAM is allocated to the kernel, how much is
shared between some processes, how much is private for some processes,
how much is allocated to buffer cache, etc....

>What I've been seeing with Vinum is that it loses about 2-5%
>performance on concatenated volumes, and gains up to 45% on a two-way
>striped volume.

    That's concatenated and striped, but what about RAID-5?

>Correct.  This applies to the Sun implementation as well.

    For which I'm probably sub-optimally configured, but unless I'm going
to scrub the whole machine and replace it with FreeBSD, I'm not inclined
to re-work the stripe size for this system.

>>     Is there anything else I should know?
>
>Probably, but I can't think of anything to volunteer.

    Thanks!

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News/mail/FTP Admin   Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
                The Sky is no longer the limit