Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 22:57:35 +1030 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        frank@mercynet.edu (Frank Arauz), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sending Mail (password)

In article <1.5.4.16.19961121124727.1397d5a6@mercynet.edu> you wrote:
:         Hi, I am new on the internet, this site has been up for about 2
: months. We are having problems when sending mail: I can send mail to anybody
: using somebody else's account and so anybody.

:         Can You give me an idea of what product can I use on our server, so
: before the message is sent, the password for that account will be required.

 This is an underlying problem with the internet.  To make a point I
 could have sent this mail say as user "god@heaven.com" or "sam@aa.net".

 Without the use of some sort of authentication/encryption stuff like
 PGP you can not be certain where mail came from.  The mail "headers"
 will indicate which sites, but it is impossible to verify users.

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
  Finger pjchilds@al.imforei.apana.org.au for public PGP key