Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 16:52:38 -0500
From:      "Steve Sims" <SimsS@IBM.Net>
To:        <34lz5ap@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <aero@aisb.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD & Compaq Aero - sio question

In your installation of FreeBSD on your Compaq Aero, were you successful in
getting the internal serial port to probe correctly?  I've tried a GENERIC
kernel from 2.1.6 and 2.2-ALPHA, as well as Hosokawa's PAO-enabled boot
floppy and none of them probe the internal port successfully, regardless of
the CMOS configuration (com1: or com2:) of the hardware (set though Compaq's
diagnostic / setup floppy).

This is similar to a problem that I had with FreeBSD on a Compaq LTE-Elite;
while the OS ran fine, neither sio0 or sio1 ever did probe correctly (even
with some extended delay added to sio.c).

I ran this problem by Nate and Bruce, but never really delved under the
covers and sorted it out.  Apparently our friends at Compaq do something
goofy with their hardware, but I haven't a clue as to what.  I assume you
have had some success????

...sjs...