Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 23:03:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        paul@trumpet.net.au (Paul Reece)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: at the end of my tether..

> Hi all.. I'm sure this has been discussed MILLIONS of times, but I've
> found myself stuck whilst trying to add a SCSI drive to my system.
>
> Basically, I have a 1.2gb IDE and a 375MB IDE drive currently in my
> system - I've added a 4gb drive and want to partition it roughly as:
> 3000MB/1000MB.
>
> I've loaded 2.0.5 boot disk and have reached the partitioning point where
> it tells me that something is wrong about the geometry (and BIOS or
> something).
>
> ANY idea how to fix this?  I have *no* idea what the geometry of the
> drive is - I do notice that SCSI SELECT (its an Adaptec 2842 card) says
> "Bios not installed" when booting...

FreeBSD doesn't care about the geometry, only the bootblocks
do (and BIOS (which the bootblocks use))

if you haven't the BIOS loaded then you are not going to be booting off
this drive right?
in which case use anything that you like :)
I suggest 64 heads/32sectors/4000cyls, as this is what Adaptec
tent to like and doing so may save your butt if you ever turn
the Bios on and want to amke a bootable partition on that drive..

Us e the G option (I think) to set this ..