Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:40:20 -0500
From:      "Matthew Zahorik" <matt@thebiz.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Netbooting FreeBSD 4.0/Intel?

Does anyone have a howto on netbooting FreeBSD 4.0/Intel with Etherboot?

I've easily managed to netboot my FreeBSD 4.0/Alpha boxes with the included
Alpha SRM netboot utility.  I really like the bootp/NFS solution used by
netboot.  It's quite clean, especially since I'm mounting root from this
same box.

My Intel boxes are proving to be more difficult.

Netboot is depreciated on Intel, and doesn't even seem to compile on FreeBSD
4.0.  Either way, it doesn't support the Intel Pro/100+ cards (82559 based)
I have in my Intel boxes.  No bootp/NFS for the Intel boxes. :-(

So I turned to Etherboot as suggested in many Usenet postings and the list
archives.

I hand compiled the latest, etherboot 4.4.4.  That didn't work.  (see below)

I used ports to install etherboot 4.2.13.  (Had to change the Makefile since
it specifies 4.2.11, which isn't available anymore)  This too didn't work.

In both cases, I wrote floppyload.bin and eepro100.lzrun to a floppy.
Etherboot starts, gets its IP address from bootp, TFTP's the kernel, quickly
says "Loading Segment 1" then "Loading Segment 2" and then promptly reboots
the machine.

The kernel is compiled with all the option BOOTP.* bits - it should work.

So, if anyone has any pointers or a list of things you did to get this work,
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

- Matt

--
Matthew Zahorik  Director of Systems and Networking - BiznessOnline.com
matt@thebiz.net  President of AlbanyNet Inc. - a BiznessOnline subsidiary