Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:58:25 -0600
From:      Aaron Birenboim <aaron@aptec.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   firewall design

I have a great many questions about firewalling, by ipfw.
Far too many to ask.

I have one working, but am often forced to punch holes
in it to ger FTP clients working, ping (ICMP), etc.

Where can I find writings on how build a USEFULL
firewall from FreeBSD?
I'm having a hard time setting it up to allow what I want
to allow through, nothing more, nothing less.
Does the o'riley book cover examples pertinent to FreeBSD?
Does anybody have a FBSD firewall DESIGN FAQ or www site?
I know the iusage of the ipfw command, I just run into problems
with things like ftp servers trying to make data sockets back
to my network... is there a way to allow them in for that?
It will only get harder when I get NAT running...
--
Aaron Birenboim         | Cell: (505) 350-1996 | Office: (505) 853-6866
ATA, ABQ  NM            |  bug_aaron@aptec.com |  perl is the duct-tape