Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:19:38 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IPFW rc.firewall

I reviewed your tutorial. I see that it's a copy of the
rc.firewall file with the symbolic variables for the
"simple" network filled in for your environment. You have
the second statement under the comments  #stop spoofing
commented out because in a user ppp dialout to the ISP you
are getting dynamic IP's and this rule needs {onet) & {omask)
a static IP value, which you don't have because it always
changes each time you dial your ISP.

# Stop spoofing
     ${fwcmd} add deny all from ${inet}:${imask} to any in via ${oif}
# ${fwcmd} add deny all from ${onet}:${omask} to any in via ${iif}

I am in this same situation.  I think there is a way to get
the info needed for {onet} & {omask}. The rc.conf file controls
the startup sequence of FBSD functions. If user ppp statements
come before the IPFW statements in rc.conf then FBSD will know
the dynamic IP address before IPFW starts.
As you can see the rc.firewall script can access system symbolic
variables as shown by
       case ${natd_enable} in
	[Yy][Ee][Ss])
		if [ -n "${natd_interface}" ]; then

Here natd_enable and natd_interface are system symbolic variables.
There are also system symbolic variables for the {onet} & {omask}
values resulting from user ppp dialin to the ISP. I need help
determining what these system symbolic variables names are.
Once we know there names, all we have to do is substitute there
names for {onet} & {omask} and we have complete spoofing protection
that correctly changes every time we dialout to the ISP.

Can you help me in this?

Thanks
Joe