Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 15:27:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Thomas Faehnle <tf@wurbl.wn.bawue.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-RELEASE: vinum, fs, ATA trouble

Hi all,

I'm currently evaluating the 4.0-RELEASE for use as a fileserver in a
production environment.

The desired configuration includes vinum in RAID5 mode. Soft updates
would be Nice To Have, but this isn't a must if they're still
problematic in combination with vinum[1].

My own tests were quite discouraging. I was able to provoke kernel
error messages ("dscheck(#ad/0x20014): b_bcount 8 is not on a sector
boundary (ssize 512)"), corrupted files, and kernel panics
("ffs_valloc: dup alloc") within a few minutes by simply copying
the /usr/src tree to a vinum volume that had one of its plexes revived
at that time[2]. Soft updates were enabled on the vinum filesystem.

But then, copying /usr/src to a filesystem with non-default block and
fragment size (32k/4k) yields the cp process hanging in "D+" state
after some 10s of megabytes. No vinum, no soft updates involved.

The machine is an i586/90MHz, ATA disks. Needless to say, it ran for
years without trouble. (This is obviously not the final machine,
I just started testing with what I have available now.)

Seeking good advice,
Thomas

[1] BUGS section of vinum(4): "... Some problems have been reported
    with vinum in combination with soft updates."

[2] The vinum config was:

    drive d0 device /dev/ad2s1e
    drive d1 device /dev/ad2s2e
    drive d2 device /dev/ad2s3e
    drive d3 device /dev/ad2s4e
    volume perverse
      plex org raid5 256k
        subdisk len 100m drive d0
        subdisk len 100m drive d1
        subdisk len 100m drive d2
        subdisk len 100m drive d3
      plex org striped 256k
        subdisk len 150m drive d0
        subdisk len 150m drive d1
      plex org concat
        subdisk len 180m drive d2
        subdisk len 120m drive d3

--
Thomas Faehnle, Am Sommerrain 12, D-71522 Backnang  | MIME mail welcome
mail: tf@wurbl.wn.bawue.de * phone: +49 7191 954671 | PGP key available