Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 18:25:12 -0400
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   adding swap via vnconfig

I have an older system (FreeBSD-2.2.8) that is under production and cannot
be brought down until a new machine is built.  In the mean time, I need to
add a lot of swap space to it.

I've done this:

vnconfig -ce /dev/vn0c /usr/local/swapfile swap

(vn was already in the kernel and the devices are there already).

Now, it's not clear to me where I can see (other than ls -l) that the file
is actually being utilized, or at what point it would be.  The goal being
to add space for swapping for our very busy named daemon.

I've noted in /etc/rc.conf the swapfile definition, and I've set that;
however, I presume I needed to add the above vnconfig statement to
/etc/rc.local to enable it (since I cannot find info on the format of
/etc/vnconfig).

This is an emergency procedure, and of course other routes will be taken
once the crisis is overwith.

TIA.

_F