Date:      Thu, 02 Apr 1998 22:31:24 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        kris@airnet.net
Cc:        "M. Monninger" <markem@primenet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c503 problems

>>    It should work fine with FreeBSD. What is the irq on the card set to?
>> I suspect that the kernel setting and the card setting don't match.
>
>Before we all get messed up, the 3c503 has two sets of jumpers: Memory
>Address (C8000, CC000, D8000, DC000) and I/O Address (2E0, 2A0, 280,
>250, 350, 330, 310, 300). Those are as read from the bottom, with I/O
>below the memory block.

   Oops, you're right - the irq on the 3c503 is soft-set by the OS. For the
3c503, the only valid choices or 2 (9), 3, 4, or 5. If the irq is the problem,
then it would be because it is getting set to something that another card is
already using.

> My 2.2.5-RELEASE Handbook says that the 3c503
>info is in FAQ135.html#135:
>
>9.9. How do I get my 3C503 to use the other network port?
>
>If you want to use the other ports, you'll have to specify an additional
>parameter on the ifconfig(1) command line. The default port is
>``link0''. To use the AUI port instead of the BNC one, use ``link2''.

   ...yes, if the port isn't configured correctly (the default is BNC), then
the same device timeout can occur.

-DG

David Greenman