Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:33:10 -0400 (CLT)
From:      Roberto de Iriarte <roberto@spock.cl>
To:        Jeffrey Katcher <jmkatcher@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Questions

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Jeffrey Katcher wrote:

> 1. I just added a new disk drive to my XP1000. When I
> used sysinstall to partition/newfs lots and lots of
> "unaligned access" messages were printed.  The action
> worked fine, but is this a concern?

Not at all. Just ignore them. BTW, AFAIK it's sysinstall's
user interface that is complaining, not the actual disklabel/newfs
tools.

> 2. What relatively modern video cards are people using
> with their Alphas to run XFree?  I have a useless
> PowerStorm 300 (well it works as a VGA OK) that I'm
> going to replace.  I was thinking about an ATI Rage
> 128 as being cheap with relatively good X performance
> and support.

I have an Ati RAGE 128 pro PCI (16MB), and while it's happy
with Xfree86 4.2, OpenGL support is lacking as of now. (I'm
trying to get it to work, however). At least in theory, an
old 3DFX card like the Voodoo 3/4/5 series should be a better
bet to get some hardware 3D acceleration. Besides, i don't think
there is a faster PCI graphics adaptor than the 3DFX voodoo 5 5500.
You should be able to get one from EBAY for about US$ 100.

> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff Katcher

My .02 cents

Roberto de Iriarte
Spock S.A.

BTW, are you happy with the XP1000' performance? I am thinking about
getting one or perhaps a DS20 (expen$ive) to replace my trusty DS3305, but
with alphas dying, i should perhaps move over to PowerPC or Sparc ?!
What do you think ?