Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 02:05:41 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>
Cc:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

> Oh, dry up.  You're forgetting that the Open Source pages aren't designed
> to make hackers feel warm and fuzzy.  They're designed for the *sole
> purpose* of persuading corporate types who care about nothing but money.
> Before these guys will adopt the Open Source way, they need to believe
> doing so will make them piles of (more) money.
>
> Therefore, not only do I exclude noncommercial projects, I exclude companies
> with less than a million dollars a year run rate.  Anything that plays into
> the Wall Street fat cat's prejudice that we're a bunch of idealists in sandal
> would sabotage the message.

But this is ridiculous, Eric, since I've already informed you that
SEVERAL FreeBSD vendors have exceeded the $1M run rate (among them,
Walnut Creek CDROM) and yet that's still evidently not enough for you.
Again, we'll talk about this publically at the OpenSource forum since
raising this issue with you privately doesn't seem to be working.

- Jordan