Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 23:27:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <jhunt@lynden.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: howto force ssh version 2

On Wed, 29 May 2002, VB wrote:

> Hi for some reason my fbsd version of ssh is trying to connect as version 1
> ssh.  for that reason, I am being turned away. to be accepted, i must do
>
> ssh -2 -l user xxx@xxx.com
>
> How can I require version 2 without the flag?

For both the daemon and the client you can use the "Protocol" option in
their config files to specify preference and support for versions 1 and 2.
These files are /etc/ssh/sshd_config and /etc/ssh/ssh_config,
respectively.

Also, from the sshd manpage:

     Protocol
             Specifies the protocol versions sshd should support.  The possi-
             ble values are ``1'' and ``2''.  Multiple versions must be comma-
             separated.  The default is ``2,1''.

And the ssh manpage:

     Protocol
             Specifies the protocol versions ssh should support in order of
             preference.  The possible values are ``1'' and ``2''.  Multiple
             versions must be comma-separated.  The default is ``2,1''.  This
             means that ssh tries version 2 and falls back to version 1 if
             version 2 is not available.