Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:03:14 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>, "L. Brett Glass" <rogue@well.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We are under attack

At 01:28 PM 7/16/98 -0700, Jan B. Koum wrote:

>	Yeah, BSD and Linux exploits were posted on bugtraq a few weeks
>ago. You do have a backup admin when you leave, right? :)

Yes, but he's primarily an NT whiz. ;-S

>	www.hitman.com seem to be an ISP. Most likely they got 0wned with
>same exploit, backdoored it and use it now to stage new attacks.

I don't think so. Their InterNIC registration seems to use a fraudulently
obtained e-mail address. I think they're hiding behind something. And,
again, "eastcoast" implies a "westcoast", so this could be a nationwide
thing.

>	Hehe.. guess what? FBI doesn't care unless you have at least 100K
>loss or theft.

This is a big public e-mail server. There's a LOT of valuable business
data on it. (Or, I should say, there WAS. One thing about buffer overflow
exploits is that they usually corrupt RAM. They sideswiped the disk cache
and we experienced some disk corruption as a result: files with nonexistent
owners, etc. We have good backups, but unfortunately the attack did go into
the business day.

>Qualcomm bug was mentioned here and on bugtraq. You have
>excuse - you were gone. Someone else, if they don't know about qualcomm,
>it is their fault.

I first found info on it -- after I deduced that this was what was going on
--
on CERT's Web site. They published the report on the 14th. I might
have seen it earlier, but I was out of touch in the Scottish Highlands.

>	Now, about recovering .. suspect ALL your data. Get a new system.
>Install 2.2.6 on it. Then cvsup to -stable and make world to make sure you
>have all the patches.

How long 'till 2.2.7?

>Then move over user data only from /usr/home (or
>other place where you have user data). Copy other files by hand and check
>them for backdoors (/etc/crontab, /etc/aliases, etc, etc). Install
>tripwire on your new system also. :)

Only one problem: PASSWORDS may have been compromised, too. The crackers got
root. Fortunately, we have a very small number of people with root
privilege, and
we can take care of all of them. But we still care about the users; we don't
want their data compromised.

I think the big mistake was in using ANYTHING from Qualcomm. Eudora Pro is
incredibly buggy, bloated, and slow, and their tech support is the worst on
Earth.... I should have known. Anyone know of a better POP server?

--Brett