Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:12:40 -0500
From:      "Jaime Bozza" <jbozza@thinkburst.com>
To:        "'Michael Lucas'" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?'Aur=E9lien_Nephtali'?= <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: root (/) not soft-updates by default ?

Following your line of thought, why then would "we" ship systems that,
by default, have softupdates enabled for all other partitions? (/usr,
/var, /usr/home, etc)

In file /usr/src/release/sysinstall/label.c, function new_part():

       ret->soft =3D strcmp(mpoint, "/") ? 1 : 0;

Basically, softupdates are enabled for everything *but* the root
partition.

(To Aur=E9lien) The real reason (as I understand it from -stable
discussion) root doesn't have softupdates turned on by default is that
during installation, the root system can fill up since softupdates waits
from releasing space from temporary files.

I personally had a problem with running a recent 4.X release install and
turning on softupdates for root ('/') without thinking about it and
having the system say that there was no space on the drive during
installation.

Outside of the warnings regarding IDE and write-caching, you can turn on
softupdates for root after installation with the tunefs command.
(You'll need to do it from single-user)

Jaime Bozza