Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 1998 01:38:48 -0500
From:      Mike Lei <tlei@mailbox.syr.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD kernel

Dear Mr. or Mrs.
   I am so glad to write the mail to you, and thank you for spending
time to read my questions.

  The commands 'uptime' and 'top' on FreeBSD both obtain three values
through the kernel variable '_averunnable'.  Actually, '_averunnable'
points to an array in /dev/kmem which holds three values.  After both
commands get those values, they make them divided by FSCALE as "load
average".  One of my questions is how those three values in that array
be generated by FreeBSD kernel. In other words, what factors does
FreeBSD
kernel depend on to determine the term "load average"??

  I know the value of FSCALE on FreeBSD is 2048, because I printed the
constant in a program.  And on SunOs, FSCALE is 256, right? What is "256

scale array" or "2048 scale array"? What do thay mean?  And why do we
have to make the values that get from that array in /dev/kmem divided by

FSCALE?

  Thank you very much, and have a nice day.

Michael