Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 13:39:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hoek@hwcn.org
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd9660 w/ Joliet extensions

> > > Hmmm.  I've had many people tell me that they're very very happy that
> > > the FreeBSD CD does not have an autorun.inf file and that this feature
> > > is the most evil thing they ever experienced in Win95. :-)
> >
> > Only if it's not correctly implemented.
>
> Although, I would be willing to bet it's the fact that things
> start happening without an explicit command from the user "run
> this program" that bothers people, not the fact that it's
> incorrectly implemented.
>
> The auto-run feature, can, of course, be disabled by pressing
> some key while putting in the CD (is it what?  Shift?  I can't
> remember off-hand... :(.

You can remove the AutoRun shell extention (nothing will autorun)
using RegEdit:

	My Computer
		HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
			SOFTWARE
				Classes
					AutoRun

You can also turn of autoinsertion notification (the trigger):

	Right-button-"Properties..." on "My Computer"
		"Device Manager" tab on "System Properties" page

	Select your CDROM in the treeview window...

	Click the "Properties" button
		"Settings" tab on "CDROM Properties" page

	In the "Options" group box, uncheck "Auto insert notification"

	Click "OK".  Click "OK".

People who find it disconcerting (that "disk inserting" ;) causes
an AutoRun) probably are not well enough educated about their OS
to turn it off.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org