Date:      Mon, 07 May 2001 12:56:04 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        asami@freebsd.org
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

Guys,

During the transition to ftp-master from ftp.freesoftware.com, I've
been going through our mountain of bits in an effort to clean it up
and have run into a number of items which I dare not delete myself but
still have to question the value of.  Does anyone have any *real* use
at any of the following directories?  No, let me rephrase that, does
anyone absolutely *need* any of the following directories and not just
want to keep it around on the premise that some obscure group of
religious cultists might someday want it?

Programmers are pack-rats by nature, and back when we were happily
ensconced on one big super-server where bits and bandwidth were
essentially free, it didn't really matter so much and we were free to
stick just about any old thing there and assume that only people who
wanted it would mirror it.

Well, it's a new world and now we're looking at ftp.freebsd.org
becoming a set of round-robin DNS entries, something which just isn't
going to happen very easily when being a "full and complete archive"
requires that you mirror over 56GBytes of cruft.  In honor of the tech
down-turn, I say it's time we imposed some austerity measures of our
own and "right sized" our bits. :-)

Anyway, here they are, each with my "justification" in brackets and
with each obviously open to interpretation and debate.

/archive/pub/FreeBSD/ports/alpha/
	packages-4-stable	[stale]
	packages-stable		[point to packages-4.3-release?]

/archive/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386
	packages-2.2-stable	[too old]
	packages-2.2.8		[too old]
	packages-3-stable	[too old]