Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:21:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system initialization order.

> With SMPng I think we need to take a good hard stare at the
> order in which we initialize the system, a lot of the reasons
> behind the current order are invalid, and some new reasons for
> a new order are not honoured.
>
> Roughly speaking, I think we need something like this order:
>
> 	init console

You can't init a real console w/o h/w. This has been the awful grotesque
ugliness of the at least the alpha NetBSD && FreeBSD ports. Despite what Mike
said in a different context, I have to say you will init a console early-
using some kind of boot or throwaway driver- possibly even just a buffer to
store output, until the real console can be initialized after, in *proper*
order, the h/w for the real console is there.

> 	print copyright
> 	initialize VM/malloc(9)
> 	init other stuff needed for:
> 	setup proc0
> 	setup proc1 (park it on a semaphore for now)
> 	setup idle procs
> 	enable scheduler
> 	init hardclock
> 	enable hardclock interrupt
> 	initialize timecounters

Fine, fine...

> This should now represent a sufficiently "normal" environment that
> the order of the rest doesn't really matter very much:
>
> 	init network protocols
> 	init pseudodrivers

In some cases pseudo drivers depend on real drivers, don't they?

> 	probe/attach real drivers
>
> ata/scsi delayed probing needs thought about here.

Yes. SCSI/FC more than ATA. Some thought might be given to avoiding complete
evaluation here and doing what Solaris does instead which would allow you to
parse a boot path and try and guess which specific device you need to get
initialized. You don't to wait for 200 disks to probe if you can help it.