Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 09:57:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@mindbender.serv.net>
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami), hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fxp0 and full duplex

> > *  > Do you know, for a fact, that MS IP stacks (from Win95 thru NT Server)
> > *  > are significantly less efficient than the BSD variety?  Or are you
> > *  > just slamming MS for the hell of it?

[
Many stories deleted where FreeBSD outperformed Win95/NT on indentical
hardware
]

> >That is the speed of ftp transfer of large files from disk to disk.
> >(Of course, this could be the filesystem and not the network driver,
> >but it's just a single datapoint anyway.)
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if this is also at least partially to do with
> "suckage" in the ftp client.  The NT ftp and telnet clients have been
> known to suck badly in many other ways.

I never mentioned ftp in my statements, although I can't give 'real' #'s
to back it up.  Doing clock timing tests on an idle network from a Win95
box to a NT Server (4.0-latest patchlevel (3 or 4, don't remember),
we're getting ~100K/minute using 'network neighberhood', or whatever M$
calls their network.  Heck, NFS on the same hardware get's about
500-600K/sec.

Nate