Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 18:32:29 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        sudz@ns3g.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE2

> Colin Legendre wrote:
>
> I just cvsup'd from 4.2 release to stable.  I had KDE 1.1 installed
> and using the port installed KDE2.0, without removing 1.1.  Now in
> my Kmenu I have man double entries under games etc....  Any help?
> Was I supposed to remove 1.1 first, and how do I now fix this?

You always pkg_delete an old port before you add a new one. This isn't
always true. The docproj is a noticeable exception. Unfortunately,
your education in how you deal with port's was on one of the most
costly as far as computer resources is concerned. The compiles can
seem to take forever depending on the speed of your cpu. If you are
really close such a 2.0 to 2.1, the "make install" will tell you that
it is already installed. It won't tell you when you try add 2.1 and
already have 1.1 installed.

The only way to recover the damage that I know of is to pkg_delete
them all and then reinstall 2.x. If you were lucky and didn't do a
clean, you should be able to get away with a make reinstall in each of
the KDE-2 port directories. If you cleaned, it will be another set of
compiles. You have to start with kdesupport2 and then kdelibs2. The
order after that would require a little investigation on your part.
With a current INDEX, I use the port pib to do that.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA