Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 11:27:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linuxdoc

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Peter da Silva wrote:

> I recommend that none of the file formats be named ".sgml". That's sort
> of like naming your C files ".src" or ".txt", right? All three (latexdoc,
> docbook, and html) are SGML DTDs.

This is a most reasonable way to do things.  Although (like iff
files) proper SGML documents are self identifying to proper sgml
tools, make is pretty stupid and must rely on naming conventions.

I won't make the change just yet, rather I'll hold off until I
have a new conversion mechanism ready to import.

And on that front, I've been hacking on instant to make it
possible to write translation specifications in a way that won't
drive you to jump off a cliff.  Progress is looking good.  I've
taken out (almost) all of the shortref garbage from the linuxdoc
DTD that was there to make up for missing functionality in
sgmlsasp.  Its just about where instant could be a plug-in
replacement for sgmlsasp in a manner completely transparent to
anyone using sgmlfmt.  There are still some more hacking I'd like
to do before importing it though.

Once that is imported, we can either work on making the linuxdoc
dtd more useful, or migrating to another DTD such as docbook.
The holdup thus far has been the rigidity of the conversion
mechanism which made any dtd changes extremely difficult.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================