Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:47:44 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster always re-installs some ports

On 08/16/2010 20:07, Charlie Kester wrote:
> On Mon 16 Aug 2010 at 19:48:23 PDT Charlie Kester wrote:
>> A while back I aborted a recursive update (bad idea, I know now)

Well not always, but apparently it was this time. :)

>> and
>> must have messed up something in whatever info portmaster uses to decide
>> whether to re-install a port. Now, whenever I use portmaster -a, it
>> re-installs py26-imaging, py26-reportlab and py26-xml.
>>
>> Every time.
>
> Correction: every time any other port is upgraded. If all ports are
> reported as up to date, the three python ports are not re-installed.
> But if any port is upgraded, the re-install occurs, even if the upgraded
> port has no dependency relationship with any of the three python ports.

Well that's just wacky. Sorry to hear that you're having this kind of
problem. I suggest the following:

1. pkg_delete -f the 3 affected ports
2. Run 'portmaster --check-depends'  If it tells you that there are
dependencies listed for those 3 ports, but there is no installed
version, make note of the port(s) that trigger this message then say yes
to the "delete the dependency data" prompt
4. Run 'portmaster --check-depends' again to make sure everything is
fixed now.
5. Run 'portmaster list-of-ports-from-number-2'  Make sure you upgrade
them all at once just to be safe.

Then you should be fine, let me know if that works for you. If it
doesn't I can give you some suggestions for more advanced debugging.

hth,

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso