Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:42:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SRA auth implementation in telnet broken

It looks like the implementation of SRA authentication in the telnet client is
broken 4.3-BETA.  I've just cvsup'd a new source tree as of about noon EST,
and built a new world, so I should be working with the latest version of the
client.  I haven't seen mention of this on the list as of March 1st, so excuse
me if this is a known issue.

There are three problems with the implementation from what I can see:

1) If SRA authentication fails with the remote host, it doesn't fall back to
standard telnet authentication.  This isn't well documented, but I would
expect that if it can't negotiate SRA with the remote host that it would try
the usual method of authentication.

2) There's no way to escape from the telnet client while SRA authentication
information is being gathered.  The escape char (^]), ^c and ^d all fail to
break out of the client.  I've had to resort to a kill from another shell to
get rid of it.

3) If you try and disable SRA authentication, either from the telnet> prompt
or from the .telnetrc file, the client immediately cores.

If I can provide any further useful information I'll be happy to.  If anyone
has a workaround or a fix for this I'd love to hear about it.  Thanks all.
   Matt Pounsett