Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 05:25:16 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul@it.ca>
To:        "Steve Brown <GTABUG>" <gtabug@prayforwind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD from .ISO image using burncd... how?

Hiya.

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 11:37:06PM -0400, Steve Brown <GTABUG> wrote:

> However, when I retried it with a blank, I got a screenful of errors and
> no prompt back (I do not know how to capture errors that go to stderr),
> had to go to another virt terminal to recover. Same thing if I try to
> mount a blank CD. Nothing in "man burncd" or "man mount" addresses this,

I've seen this behaviour before, but have never really followed up on it.
Mounting blanks consistently makes unkillable burncd processes for me.

> Should I or should I not mount the CD before using burncd, and how do I
> mount a blank? I sure could use a bit of help here; I already spent months
> fooling with a different CD-Writer only to find out that it's incompatible
> with FreeBSD.

Let's fix your terminology.  You don't actually "mount a CD".  What you
are really mounting is a FILESYSTEM.  The CD just happens to be one place
that you can put a filesystem.  The mount command (and its friends the
mount_* commands) goes off and grabs a filesystem in one of a number of
formats.  Usually, hard disks use 'ufs', CDs use 'cd9660', floppies and
hard disks can use 'msdos'.  When you mount, you are telling the system
to look at a particular device and expect a particular filesystem type.

But you can mix and match things if you want.  Using vnodes (`man vn`),
you can take an iso image stored in a file, map it to a device, and mount
the filesystem "on" that device.

All this is just to explain why it's impossible to mount a blank CD.  If
the CD is blank, then there's no filesystem, so there's nothing to mount.
By copying the iso image to it, you're giving it a filesystem, which you
will then be able to mount, using the device name as an access point.
But it's the filesystem you're mounting.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Development / Abuse / Whatever       vox: +1 416 598-0000