Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:30:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav), dchulhan@uwi.tt (Dale Chulhan - Home), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (chat@FreeBSD.ORG), TheTechies@onelist.com (My List)
Subject:   Re: Reserved IP Addresses

> These are the addresses that are reserved by standard. Others, as in
> Dale's message, are reserved by fiat! For example, HP has grabbed,
> without authorization, a bunch of IANA "experimental" addresses for
> its JetDirect printers and print servers. No one gave them the
> addresses; their equipment JUST TAKES THEM. If you let packets for
> them through your firewall, folks may be able to commandeer your
> printers.
>
> There really should be a good list of addresses that are reserved
> not only by RFC1918 but also by "land grabs."

That's an incredibly bad idea, unless you intent is to stomp
all over the land grabs, instead of somehow legitimizing them
by recognizing their "grabbed" status.

I'd have no problem with taking "grabbed" IP addresses, and
putting them in default firewall rule sets, without attributing
the grabbers, for example...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---