Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 2003 10:09:25 +1100
From:      David Burren <david@burren.cx>
To:        bv@wjv.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: at33 vs others?

> I just updated an iNTEL 1100R rack mount from an ATA33 [don't
> recall the drive] to a Promise 100/133 controller and a Maxtor
> 120GB 7200 RPM ATA133 I saw significant increase.

Yes ATA133 can be faster as it removes one bottleneck, but the drive
will be making a big difference too.  The 7200 RPM of the Maxtor
will be boosting the transfer rate, and the larger buffer, (possibly)
different buffer management in the firmware, and (presumably) lower
seek times of the disk will all be contributing.  The position of the
filesystem partition on the drive and the fresh filesystem will also
affect the result.

Your numbers are not a true indication of the advantages of ATA133.
Try connecting the drive with an ATA33 cable to drop the bus speed
back and do your test again.  That would be a better comparison.

But then you might not care that much.  Your system is significantly
faster than it was, and that's probably the bottom line for most
people.  :-)
__
David B