Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:17:37 +0200
From:      Jan Pechanec <pechy@hp735.cvut.cz>
To:        Robert Kuan <sysx@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rkwan <rkwan@visa.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD install questions

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Robert Kuan wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a few questions on FreeBSD installation; I hope you would help me t=
>answer them.
>
>1.=09How to change the labels and modify the FreeBSD Booteasy. I.e.,
>
>From:      F1  ??
>           F2  DOS
>           F3  DOS
>           F4  FreeBSD
>           F5  Disk1
>
> to    F1 WinNT 4.0
>       F2  (delete, not in used =96 empty partition)
>       F3  Win98
>       F4  FreeBSD 3.2
>       F5 Solaris 2.7

=09You can't. I wrote my own boot manager a I studied BootEasy as
a existing and working example. Ordering of systems depends on
ordering of partitions (ie. slices). BE has its own table for OS
strings.=20

=09If you don't want to hack the manager's code, you can just
rewrite with some editor 1st sector (MBR) to eg. this:

=09F1 --
=09F2 Win
=09F3 Win
=09F4 FBSD3.2
=09F5 xxxxx

=09Ie. you have to follow string lengths. If you want to change
strings, use another manager. I can't recall its name, but there is
another one mentioned and shipped with FreeBSD, it enables custom
strings (OS-BS ?).

=09Jan.

>2.=09How to install the Solaris Boot Record so I can use Booteasy to boot
>from,
>Right now, when I push F5 from Booteasy, it gives error message: Boot Reco=
rd
>not found.
>
>3.=09How to set up my computer to make a dial in to my ISP. Please provide=
 me
>the steps or example to do the setup.
>    My ISP is worldnet.att.net using:
>    User ID/account no. is 740136022@worldnet.att.net
>    Password is abcdefghijk12
>    Phone for ISP is (415) 276-0107
>    Pop3 =96 in coming mail is postoffice.worldnet.att.net
>    Pop3 =96 out going mail is mailhost.wordnet.att.net
>    Mail account ID is SysX
>    Email password is  122345678mm
>    Email address is sysx@worldnet.att.net
>    My modem is in COM2
>
>I have tried several combonations of setup but it doesn=92t work, I would =
like
>to FTP the FreeBSD update from my computer.
>
>Thank you very much for your kind reply.
>
>Sincerely,
>Robert Kuan
>Sysx@worldnet.att.net
>rkwan@visa.com

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

--=20
Jan PECHANEC (mailto:pechy@hp735.cvut.cz)
Computing Center CTU (Zikova 4, Praha 6, 166 35, Czech Republic)
http://www.civ.cvut.cz, tel: +420 2 2435 2969, http://pechy.civ.cvut.cz