Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:13:45 +1100
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "no disks found!" - can't access 2nd hard drive (freebsd 4.2-release)

Hi folx

please cc me directly as I am not subscribed to freebsd-questions.

I have a new server which I've just installed with freebsd
4.2-RELEASE. I can't get freebsd to partition and mount the second
hard drive, it complains with "No disks found!" when I try and run
fdisk from /stand/sysinstall. Here are some things from dmesg:

atapci0: <Intel ICH2 ATA100 controller> port 0xf000-0xf00f at device
31.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 29314MB <IBM-DTLA-307030> [59560/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
ata1-master: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable
ad2: 29314MB <IBM-DTLA-307030> [59560/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA33
acd0: CDROM <CD-950E/AKU> at ata1-slave using PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

It is an A-Open motherboard with a Celeron 700MHz processor. The
A-Open has onboard the newish Intel ATA100 controller. ata1 has the
second hard disk on it as master, and also the cdrom as slave.

I find it hard to believe that the cable on ata1 is not ata66
compliant, but maybe this is the case. In any case, surely I should
still be able to partition and mount the second drive if it's limited
to UDMA33... so maybe the cable is actually faulty. But the OS was
installed via the cdrom on this cable so it can't be all bad...

When I use /stand/sysinstall to try and partition the drive with
Fdisk I get the following error:

	No disks found!  Please verify that your disk controller
	is being properly probed at boot time.  See the Hardware
	Guide on the Documentation menu for clues on diagnosing
	this type of problem.

I have looked at the hardware guide and it didn't really help me
diagnose the problem. What's going on?

Cheers

Jesse

--