Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 23:49:25 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Andy Coates <andy@friends-tv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pine, POP3, and Maildirs.. Help!

> > Try using some other POP client?  Or fetchmail?  Or IMAP rather than
> > POP (Pine can handle imap directly, and so can many other mail
> > clients)?  With qmail you can have users set up multiple mailboxes
> > corresponding to different aliases on the server, and you can access
> > all these mailboxes from the local machine with Pine using imap.
> > Is that what you want?
>
> Sounds like the IMAP thing could be worth using - I hear Pine can use IMAP,
> does that need any modifications for that to work with maildirs too? I'll
> have to find some decent IMAP faq and see what its all about. Anyone
> recommend any?

With IMAP your mail stays on the server: it doesn't get downloaded
to the local machine.  So you don't have any mailboxes locally.
On the server, qmail can be configured to use either maildirs or
traditional mailboxes.  I think some imap servers can handle maildirs,
but I'm not sure; but if you set up the server to store mail in
mailboxes there shouldn't be a problem.

> The idea of the user accessing all the mailboxes from the local machine is
> no big deal, as I just had to make sure "one" account could be read so I
> could send system messages / problems if needed. The idea of multiple pop
> boxes is mainly for friends/customers/clients of the user, so he wouldn't
> need to check them anyway.

Sorry I haven't used pop much, so I don't know whether you can set up
multiple pop boxes this way without qmail-pop3d.