Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 18:18:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall resetting USA_RESIDENT=NO

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, John Baldwin wrote:

> > In either the case that no make.conf exists, or one exists without a
> > USA_RESIDENT line in it, the line is added, regardless of if I have
> > confirmed that the default NO is correct or not.
>
> Hmm, we probably shouldn't do this.  I think your first patchset is
> actually the proper one.  Ultimately, the user needs to choose whether
> or not they are in the U.S., we should never choose this for them.  Thus,
> we should only write anything out if we ask them the question.

From what I could tell from mailing list archives, etc.  It looked like
there was some need to have this set one way or the other, no matter
what... though maybe I misinterpreted that...

Or as Jordan just suggested, cut it out entirely.

As far as that goes, it looks like USAResident could be taken out of the
globals too... make it (and my USAResValid) statics in configMake_conf(),
have that function ask the question.  Though I have not checked to see if
configMake_conf() is called running this in scripted mode.

I'm willing to take a look.

  - Tim