Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:16:20 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Welders causing dial-out to fail

I would suggest that you look at your grounds first.  It really takes a
lot of close physical proximity for appreciable interference to be induced
through the air onto communications cables.  However, if the "ring" side
of the phone line has bad coupling to true earth ground, then all hell
breaks loose.

The National Electric Code mandates that all lines (power, phone, cable, TV,
etc) must be grounded together before entering a building.  This is
usually done with a steel cable that runs down the side of the telephone
pole into a stake into the ground.  If the ground is dry and the
stake is corroded and you get a few milliohms of resistance there, this
creates
a path for RFI to be coupled directly from the power lines that are operating
the welders right into your phone lines.  It's the utilities responsibility to
correctly ground, call them up and get them out there.

All the shielding in the world won't be worth a damn if you don't have a
single reference ground for everything in the building.  All shielding has
to be bonded to this ground to be any good.