Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 17:22:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

Ok -

 I have a machine that is my gateway to the outside world (using
natd.)  This machine contacts my ISP every now-and-then to grab
news and mail.

 So, this machine (and all of the others on my network) have a
/etc/resolv.conf for pointing to the ISP's nameserver.

 But - at any given time, the gateway machine isn't likely to
be connected to the network...

 This is completely fine, until I try to rlogin to the gateway
machine (ponds.dignus.com).  The rlogin's have to timeout doing the
normal rhosts verification... which can take a long time, since
I'm not running a resolver (bind) at my end.  Of course, I'm using
an internal (10.0.0.xx) network... so the ISP shouldn't be able to
resolve this anyway...

 Now - the typical answer is, of course, "You need to set your
/etc/host.conf to use the /etc/hosts file first, then use bind.

 Well - I have that set up - my /etc/host.conf looks like:

    # $Id: host.conf,v 1.2 1993/11/07 01:02:57 wollman Exp $
    # For our situation, use /etc/hosts first...
    hosts
    # Then, use the nameserver
    bind
    # If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
    # nis

 My entries are present in my host file...

 What's strange is that things on the gateway machine seem to access
the local network (presumably using /etc/hosts) just fine.  It's
only rlogin's to the gateway machine from the internal network
that are causing the problem...

 Also, if I don't ifconfig the external slip connection, I don't
have this timeout behaviour...

 I guess, what I'm hinting at here, is that /etc/host.conf doesn't
seem to be working for the r-cmds...

 Has anyone seen this behaviour?

 Are the r-cmds using their own resolver?  And thus "by-passing"
/etc/host.conf?

 Is something else going on?

	 - Thanks -
	- Dave Rivers -