Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:34:32 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re(2): Wyse terminal emulator?

Devin Smith <devin-smith@rintrah.org> wrote:

> I wish you hadn't said that. It's the same conclusion I've been coming
> to. I was at least hoping for a Wyse emulator for any flavor of unix
> anywhere with the chance it could possibly be ported...

Terminal emulators are a rare beast on unix, if you don't count
console drivers and xterm and its ilk.  (Heck, even then.)  Which
is due to the fact that (1) unix people already used to sit in front
of real terminals, and that (2) the invention of termcap made
interactive unix applications independent of particular terminal
types some twenty years ago.

Today an application hardcoded to Wyse 60 terminals is about as
appropriate as a razor that takes flint blades.

There _might_ be commercial wy60 emulators for SCO Unix or Solaris
or such out there.