Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 00:10:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        "a.s.gruner" <plankalkuel@encephalon.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: copy a harddrive and run that one

On Sat, 25 May 2002, a.s.gruner wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have a running freebsd 4.6-RC on my IDE harddrive.
> Now i want to switch to an other harddrive, with the same size, but not
> IDE, its a SCSI harddrive.
> My question is very easy. How can i switch my running system, with all
> my installed ports, the updates (i installed 4.0 on the IDE harddrive
> and now i have 4.6RC running), and so on, to the SCSI harddisk ?
> Is there a way to copy the partitions ?
> Or, if not, what is the best way ? Just install a new FreeBSD System on
> my new SCSI device and copy the ports tree and /usr/src from the old IDE
> to the new SCSI (also the /home ), and try to build a new system with
> the sources i copied ?
> Thanks.

If they were both IDE, you could simply put both drives in the
machine and dd the original to the new one

I *think* this would work OK with IDE to SCSI, but I've never
done it. Let's say you had ad0 and da0 as the two drives.
You would simply do "dd if=ad0 of=da0 bs=8096" . This will
do an "image copy", making the partitions and everything. The
2nd drive *must* be as large as the first. If it's a little bigger,
that's OK , but you'll not use the "extra" part.

Also, here's something that will work with any drive, but it's a little
tricky. First create 3 directories on the 1st drive's root partition
called slash, newvar and newusr. Run /stand/sysinstall with both drives in
the machine. Then choose "Custom Installation". Run "Partition", choosing
the SCSI drive as the one you want to perform the operations upon.
Usually, you want to choose the whole disk, then type "Q" and say
"Yes" to the boot manager question. Then run "Label" and choose
partitions to match the sizes of your / , /var and /usr partitions on
the old drive. Mount them as /slash, /newvar and /newusr . Be sure
to also make a swap partition. Then type "W" instead of "Q" to leave
the "Label" menu. You will be asked if you want to continue. Say
"Yes" and the new drive will be 'fsck'd' and mounted. Exit SysInstall.

Now, cd to /slash and do " dump 0 -f - / | restore -r -f - ",
cd to /newvar and do " dump 0 -f - /var | restore -r -f - "  and
then cd to /newusr and do " dump 0 -f - /usr | restore -r -f - " .

If it's easier, you can also use "rsync" from ports to copy
the partitions. You need something that will create special files
correctly.

Now, edit /slash/etc/fstab so that the devices are correct, remove
the IDE drive, make the SCSI the boot drive and reboot.

The first option would be far easier, of course, but the drive
sizes need to match, with the SCSI being no smaller.

Hope this helps. I may have forgotten something because it's been
a while since I did this last.

Hope this helps,

Jim Durham