Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 17:53:08 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>" <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xfig and transfig

Hi Satoshi,

Re.
> As I said before, I am not saying that EVERYBODY that runs hylafax
> needs ghostview, I'm just saying that if most of them needs it, then
> let's put it in the dependency list.  What we need to cater for is the
> "typical" Joe user, whose life we are trying to make it easy.  (And
> printing "ghostview: command not found" in some obscure terminal is
> not how to accomplish that.)

Your example is correct for ghostscript, but not for ghostview.
I did not announce intention to change ghostscript depend, just ghostview.
I now realise the ghostview I put in when I created the port was un-necessary
(I only put it in originally as a `just in case it's needed').

Let's reiterate:
	Nothing in hylafax calls ghostview,
		if the user invokes `abracadabra' he'll also get `not found',
		but hw won't get `ghostview: command not found' from hylafax.
	One can also use xv as an alternate viewer to ghostview.
	One can use ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/networking/communication/modem
		/mgetty/viewfax-2.1.tar.gz as a fax viewer instead of ghostview
		( simply xmkmf make all install )
	One can also convert the .ps via ghostscript & print it
		without ever taking it near an X-11 screen,
	One can also rcp the .ps or .tiff to another non FreeBSD system.
	One can also run hylafax in server mode only, auto forwarding,

Hence Ghostview Is NOT NECESSARY (merely pleasant to have around)
As maintainer of the port, I thus plan to correct my mistake & change
	EXEC_DEPENDS+=        ghostview:${PORTSDIR}/print/ghostview
	EXEC_RECOMMENDED+=	ghostview:${PORTSDIR}/print/ghostview

Re.
> That is a good idea, can you send me a patch that will add it to
> bsd.port.mk?  You may want to spell it "RECOMMENDED" though. :>

I'd prefer you do that as ports-infrastructure-maestro, especially as
you have an updated uncommited version on thud, & I don't want to
collide with your work in progress.

I guess if I stick to hylafax maintenace & pbasic etc, & leave you to pursue
the mk stuff, it'll be more efficient ?

PS Thanks for the spelling correction :-)
(In fact you may prefer to implement a shorter name than EXEC_RECCOMENDED ? )

Julian S