Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 15:55:27 +0300
From:      Allon Herman <allon@opal.co.il>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        amirk@opal.co.il
Subject:   file locking across NFS

I have installed FreeBSD on a pc which is dedicated for serving as a mail
server. All works fine and I'm very pleased with the system. Anyway there
is one thing that disturbs me. On our network we have SGI workstations
running Irix 5.3, when users try to get advantage of mediamail, they find
it is impossible to use it. Mediamail gets stuck when started and complains
about being unable to lock the mail box which is naturally NFS mounted from
FreeBSD in our case. When the problem first occured we were still running
Irix 5.2 and I was hoping that this problem will be solved when we upgrade
to Irix 5.3. Unfortunatly the problem has not been solved by upgrading the
system on our SGI's. I have also noticed that NFS daemons such as statd and
lockd do not exist on FreeBSD, has this fact got any relation to our problem?
I would like to know what is the status of this issue and if need be I'll
willingly help develop the missing daemons or some other alternative with
similar functionality.

-Allon Herman.